Friday, January 18, 2013

Where do you like to do math?

by Math4

Where do you most enjoy working on mathematics? What kind of a space helps you think? When you're stuck on a problem, where do you go? What do you do to get un-stuck?

We asked this question of Marcus du Sautoy via twitter and here is his response:

Read the comments below to see our thoughts, AND please share your thoughts with us.

11 comments:

  1. When I'm stuck, I like to get a fresh cup of coffee and then go for a walk around the school or maybe outside in the garden. Then sometimes new ideas come to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I'm stuck on a problem I usually get a bag of jalapeƱo chips and listen to music In the breakfast room and think about the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to do math at the kitchen table when it is sunny because it makes me think a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to do math in a quiet area where no one can bother me. When I'm stuck on a problem I like to go do something else and later come back to that problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I'm stuck on a math problem I usually read the problem over and over again. If I still don't get any ideas I will go into my room and relax for a little bit and after that I will usually get an idea. on Where do you like to do math?

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I do my math I like to eat while doing it, if I get stuck, or get tired, in the spring or summer I like to run around in my yard but in the winter I usually read a little and go back to my work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get my favorite snack and that gives me the power to think great ideas, if that doesn't work then i play with my sister or brother and that will get me un-frustrated and then I go back to my work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like to do math in a quiet space. When I'm stuck I like to take a break and do something else that has nothing to do with work or anything that makes my brain work, after I feel relaxed and my brain is rested I go back and try to figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like to do my math in my special chair at my desk. When I get stuck I like to read a chapter of a book and let the problem get out of my head. Then later I will come back to the problem and I can get a new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like to do math in my room. I like to do math in my chair. One or two spins and I will figure out the problem. I like to do it in a not to quiet not to loud room. At school I like to do it in a group, but at my house I like to do math on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I am stuck on a problem, I usually sit down and read the problem over and over again. Then, when I have some idea of what it might be, I try the idea out. If it does not work, then I just keep reading the problem until I get another idea.

    ReplyDelete

Please make sure all comments are "child friendly" and appropriate for general audience. Thanks.